Pages

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A truly humbling experience

After a rough start to the week Jeff and I were able to go attend the temple, thanks to his mom and sister for watching the girls. We got to the temple and realized that the session we were about to join was an ASL (American Sign Language) session. Even while just sitting in the chapel it was amazing and fascinating to watch those that were deaf and their family/friends and the temple workers communicate with each other. They told us that the session would still have audio so that we could still go into that session if we wanted to. We decided to go for it.

Throughout the session all I could think of was how lucky I am to have the things that I have, and that I really need to stop and count my blessings. This was very humbling because I've kind of been having a bit of a pity party and been feeling down all day. It was amazing to watch all the efforts people took to make sure everyone was able to participate. It made me, once again, realize that the Lord provides for us no matter what our needs are. He will not give us anything that we can't handle and always provides a way to help us make it through.

This experience also opened my eyes to the fact that the Lord truly loves and cares for each of his children individually. The fact that just because someone is deaf, it doesn't mean they can't participate in and receive the ordinances of the temple. The Lord has provided a way for them to be able to receive the same blessings as the rest of us. There was older man in the session that had a real impression on me. He was not only deaf, he was blind too, but yet there he was participating in and receiving those wonderful blessings and being able to be in the Lord's presence.

I am truly humbled and touched from this experience. Just because we're going through a bit of a rough time right now, it's only temporary and the Lord is watching over us, taking care of us, and most definitely has NOT forsaken us.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Thank you for sharing. I needed that right now :) He truly does care for us individually, and it is great to be reminded of that!

Jeff & Jeanette said...

Temple workers were signing the entire session and he was feeling their signs. It was pretty astonishing to watch because I can't remember ever seeing it before. Also, there wasn't Close Captioning for it. They had video of the signs for them. I don't know if it makes a difference for them, but it was fun to see for myself. Jeff.